This craft is a pack tradition of ours that was passed down to me from our old pack Cubmaster. It is relatively simple to make and very cheap. I make this for all the new scouts that join our pack as a reminder that their ultimate goal as a scout is to achieve their Eagle rank. (I don’t have any “in progress” pictures as I already had this one made, but it’s really easy to make)
- Red vinyl craft lace
- Blue vinyl craft lace
- White vinyl craft lace
- 1 plastic eagle claw
- Cut a long length of each red, white, and blue vinyl lace and tape it to a table or surface
- Begin to braid all three pieces together
- At about the “halfway” point, slide the eagle claw onto the necklace
- Continue braiding until the other half matches the length of the first half
- Tie all the strands together with an overhand knot to complete the necklace
Whenever a new scout joins our pack, we present them with their new “Real Fake Eagle Claw Necklace” and remind them of their goal and that all of their leaders are there to help them realize that goal.
How about your pack? What traditions do you have? Do you offer something to your new scouts? Please share them here.