We had our 2012 Pinewood Derby at the end of February. For awards, I wanted to do something more than just the standard “Most/Best (Fill in the Blank) Car”. A couple years ago, I remember having Pinewood Derby Car Twinkies for snacks, but I don’t remember everything that was on them. You can do a search on Google Images for ideas, but at they’re most basic, split two Oreo Cookies in half and use the four pieces for wheels. The creme filling will help them attach to the Twinkie. You could also use Lifesavers, Peppermints, or any other rounded candy.
This was an idea I found on Pinterest (one of my new favorite resources for finding cub scout crafts) via Brandy at Gluesticks. I could not find mini boxes of Junior Mints or Dots (the snack size you get at Halloween) so I substituted with a 5-pack of Juicy Fruit and 5-pack of Doublemint gums. I also picked up some boxes of Tic-Tacs that could be used as well. I must say, these awards were a HUGE hit with our boys!!
- 1 pack 5-piece DoubleMint Gum – Chassis
- 1 pack 5-piece Juicy Fruit Gum – Chassis
- 1 mini Kit Kat bar – Rear Wing
- 1 mini Hershey’s bar – Front Wing
- 1 Hershey’s Kiss – Driver
- 1 Cinnamon Disc – Engine/After Burner
- 4 Peppermint candies – Wheels
- Hot glue gun
- Plate for working on
- Place 3 drops of hot glue on one package of gum and glue both packages together
- Place 2 drops of hot glue on each side of the car and attach the peppermints. Make sure the wrapper ends point to the sides. Also, you will want to make sure the peppermints are far enough in that they are not in the way of the front or rear wings (Hershey bar and Kit Kat)
- Place a drop of hot glue on the rear of the car in the middle of the packs of gum and attach the cinnamon disc with the wrappers pointing outward
- Place a row of glue in front of the cinnamon disc and a drop on top of the cinnamon disc (You may also need small drops of hot glue on the back of the rear wheels to hold the rear wing in place.)
- Place a row of hot glue all the way across the front of the car. (You may also need small drops of hot glue on the front of the front wheels to hold the front wing in place.)
- Place a drop of hot glue in the middle of the car for the driver.
- Tiger Elective #2
- Wolf Elective #9b